Spring Calculator Professional FAQs
- Can I get a trial of Spring Calculator Professional?
- I requested a trial but I haven't received an email.
- How do I buy Spring Calculator Professional?Please fill out this quotation form, and we will send you a price based on your needs.All quotes are no obligation, and if you wish to proceed with your purchase, we will run through your payment options.
- What are the differences between Versions 1 and 2?
- Do you have any help documentation?
- I only have access to a Mac, can I still use SCP?
- How do I install SCP on a licence server?There are two types of SCP Licence – a Fixed Licence, where the software can only be installed on a specific computer, and a Floating Licence, which allows the software to be installed on multiple computers but only used concurrently on a number of computers set by your licence. For example, if you have two seat Floating Licence, you can install the software on as many computers as you like, but it will only be available for use on two of those computers simultaneously.
The management of the Floating Licence is carried out by a piece of software called a Licence Server. A licence server is essential for all installations of SCP that use a Floating Licence. A licence server is NOT required for a Fixed Licence installation of SCP. There are three ways in which this can be installed:
- The licence server can be installed on a desktop computer alongside an installation of the main SCP software.
- The licence server can be installed on a Windows server machine or on a desktop machine that is not running SCP.
- We can, for a small fee, host a licence server for you on our servers. If you wish to pursue this option, please get in touch.
However you install your Licence server, it must be available via a network connection.
- I am getting 'x' message when I try to install SCP, what can I do?SCP is a complex piece of software, and Windows is a complex operating system; occasionally things get broken. We find that most problems with installing SCP are traced back to one of the following:
- An old version of Windows; SCP Version 2 has been tested on all versions of Windows from Windows 8 onwards. We only support versions of Windows that Microsoft themselves currently support. Please note: Windows 7 is no longer actively supported.
- No network connection or firewalled computer. The software may require network access during installation and will require network access during the licensing process.
- Permissions issues. You may be trying to install the software from an account that doesn’t have sufficient access rights on the computer. We recommend installing the software with an account with local Administrator privileges. In some circumstances an actual Local Administrator Account may be needed – consult your IT department.
- There may be insufficient space on the local hard disc. This is not a common issue.
- You’re attempting to install the software on a network drive. This isn’t supported.
- You’re attempting to install and licence the software on a Virtual Machine. Whilst it is possible to do this, most licences are set NOT to permit this.
If none of these possibilities fit your circumstances, please contact us.
To answer your question as quickly as possible, it helps us enormously if you can provide the following information when you contact us:
- Windows Version
- Screenshot of any error message. If this isn’t possible, a description of what happens is helpful.
- If possible, try to find out whether the error occurs on other PCs.
We will then contact you to resolve the problem.
- It's asking me to input a licence key, where do I get this from?The SCP software requires a licence to work. Several situations may give rise to this prompt:
- If you’re running a trial version of the software, you may receive this message when the trial has expired.
- You may also receive this request if you’re using a time-limited licence that has expired.
- The software may be unable to contact the licence server, or the licence has been revoked/cancelled.
- You will get this error if you are trying to run an un-licenced copy of the software.
If you are sure that your licence is up to date, please contact us. When you contact us, please send us the following information:
- If known, your licence key.
- The email address that your licence key was sent to.
- Windows Version.
If you wish to buy a licence for SCP, please contact us.
- What materials and standards are available in SCP?
- I have a question about an equation what can I do?The equations used in SCP are, for the most part, derived directly from the relevant standards. Where this isn’t possible, we have used best practices to derive our models of spring behaviour. Fatigue information is derived from research data accumulated over the years in our laboratories.
If you have specific questions about our equations or data, don’t hesitate to contact us, and we will do our best to help.
- I would like my spring design verifying, can you help with this?We can indeed help with this!
When you purchase SCP, you get one year of free software support (maintenance). This gives you access to new versions of the software and also support using the software to enter your spring designs and validating designs.
If you require help interpreting the results beyond what information is given by the software, you’re welcome to contact us.
If you need technical help but are currently not paying for maintenance, we can either:
- Quote you a one-off fee for consultancy in validating your design
- Help you get back into maintenance so you can continue with technical support
You might also like to consider taking one of our Spring Design training courses.